Use a hot chocolate packet, milk, and peppermint extract to make an easy Peppermint Hot Chocolate this winter! Top it off with peppermint flavored whipped cream, crushed mint candy and festive holiday sprinkles and enjoy on a cold winter evening.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate is wonderful on a cold winter's evening or Christmas morning while opening presents (or the night before while wrapping). Enjoy with a special holiday treat, like these chocolate covered pretzel rods or Christmas tree shaped brownies.
This recipe is incredibly easy to make. We're not making hot chocolate from scratch on the stove top here. Instead, we are simply taking store bought hot chocolate packets and flavoring them using peppermint extract, candy canes, and whipped creamy. Throw in some chocolate chips to make it extra creamy and more chocolaty!
Your peppermint hot chocolate will be ready to serve in less than 5 minutes! Or make it ahead of time to enjoy when the craving strikes.
To make 1 serving, or 1 cup, you need:
- 1 hot chocolate packet
- 1 cup of milk: any kind works (dairy or plant-based).
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 peppermint candy cane: or peppermint stir stick.
- Whipped cream: plain or peppermint flavored.
- Festive Christmas sprinkles
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Extra creamy: use heavy cream instead of milk.
- Add marshmallows: top your peppermint hot chocolate with mini marshmallows for added sweetness and texture.
- Extra chocolaty: mix in a handful of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to each cup. Semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips both taste wonderful.
- Regular whipped cream: to make it a little less pepperminty, use regular whipped cream in place of the peppermint whipped cream.
- Use a peppermint stir stick: instead of candy canes, peppermint stir sticks make a great choice.
How To Make It
STEP 1: Pour the milk and peppermint extract in a microwave safe mug and warm on high for 2 minutes.
STEP 2: Add the hot chocolate packet and stir well until the packet is dissolved into the hot milk.
STEP 3: Top with whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies and sprinkles. Serve with a candy cane or peppermint stir stick.
This recipe is delicious garnished with crushed peppermint candy canes, broken pieces of chocolate and festive holiday sprinkles in green, red, and white colors.
Wondering what to serve with peppermint hot chocolate? Try these delicious winter desserts and snacks.
If you'd rather not use peppermint extract or can't find it, you have some options to still make a flavorful peppermint cocoa. Melt a peppermint candy into the hot milk and stir to make peppermint flavored hot chocolate. You can do this with about 1 tablespoon of crushed peppermint candy canes too.
Yes! Make hot chocolate in large batches ahead of a holiday gathering or party. Mix the milk, peppermint extract, and hot chocolate packets together and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Once ready to serve, warm the hot chocolate and pour into individual mugs. Top with whipped cream, crushed candies and sprinkles immediately before serving.
For more delicious recipes, follow us on Pinterest and Instagram! And if you loved this recipe make sure to give it a star rating!
Easy Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 hot chocolate packet
- whipped cream, plain or peppermint flavored
- crushed peppermint candy
- festive Christmas sprinkles
- 1 peppermint candy cane, or peppermint stir stick
- Pour the milk and peppermint extract in a microwave safe mug and warm on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot chocolate packet and stir well until the packet is dissolved into the hot milk.
- Top with whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies and sprinkles. Serve with a candy cane or peppermint stir stick.
This is the perfect hygge drink a=for a cold winter evening. Thank you for such a delightful recipe!
Amy Liu Dong
This is one of my favorite holiday drinks. It is so easy and delicious!
Great recipe for an easy peppermint hot coco