Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Everything Bagel Seasoning are baked in the oven until perfectly crisp and golden. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning to make a quick and healthy family-friendly snack.
If you are looking for a wholesome and healthy simple snack for you and your family, this roasted chickpeas recipe is it! It's vegan, gluten-free, and kid-friendly.
Protein and fiber loaded garbanzo beans are baked in extra virgin olive oil and a dash of salt until they are crispy, crunchy, and golden. Then toss with everything bagel seasoning to make a snack that's oh so good for you!
Crispy roasted chickpeas make a great snack that will satisfy the craving for something salty and crunchy. (Say goodbye to that bag of chips!)
The ingredients in crispy roasted chickpeas are simple:
- Chickpeas: also known as garbanzo beans. Canned chickpeas are perfect. They should be rinsed, dried, and de-shelled the best you can.
- Everything bagel seasoning: sometimes called everything-but-the-bagel seasoning depending on the brand.
- Oil: I use extra virgin olive oil, but your favorite neutral olive is okay.
- Salt: just a dash is used, but since salt is a personal preference feel free to leave it out. There will be some in the seasoning blend too.
Crispy roasted chickpeas are made in only 3 simple steps:
STEP 1: Drain the can of chickpeas into a colander. Rinse well with cool water. Gently use your fingers to remove shells as you rinse. Transfer rinsed chickpeas to a paper towel. Peel off remaining shells and discard. Gently dry the chickpeas between paper towels. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit while chickpeas continue to air dry.
STEP 2: Place chickpeas on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toss with extra virgin olive oil and spread out in one layer. Sprinkle with salt.
STEP 3: Bake for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning while chickpeas are warm. Toss well to coat in the seasoning and serve.
Once you know how to create the perfect crispy roasted chickpeas, the seasoning you add is really about your preference. Instead of everything bagel seasoning, use any of these spice and herb combinations:
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic salt
- Jerk seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Cajun seasoning
- Mediterranean spice blend
- Taco seasoning
The chickpeas can be tossed with the seasonings above prior to roasting, unlike when using everything bagel seasoning. The reason that everything bagel seasoning is added after baking is because it contains sesame seeds which can easily burn when baked for 20 minutes in high heat.
How To Eat Roasted Chickpeas
Roasted chickpeas make a great snack and my little ones love them as a side dish with dinner and even as a full lunch. They are great for adding to lunch boxes and meal prep recipes throughout the week.
How To Store Roasted Chickpeas
For ultimate crispiness, roasted chickpeas are best eaten immediately after baking when you're enjoyed them as a snack. They begin to lose their crispiness if left uneaten. However, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days if you don't mind. Or, when adding to other meals like salads or grain bowls.
Do not store roasted chickpeas in the fridge, otherwise they will turn very soft.
Commonly Asked Questions About Roasting Garbanzo Beans
Yes! Chickpeas are loaded with fiber and protein. They are vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free. They have a low glycemic index and are full of vitamins and minerals. Chickpeas are a great choice for people following a variety diets, including diabetics, vegans and vegetarians.
Roasted chickpeas are crunchy, but not too crunchy like tortilla chips or crackers. They shouldn't hurt your teeth and soften as soon as you begin chewing. On the contrary, dehydrated chickpeas are very crunchy!
Don't go crazy trying to keep them crispy for longer than a few hours. Unless you dehydrate your garbanzo beans, they will naturally lose crispness within a couple hours of baking. To keep them as crispy as possible for as long as possible, store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to eat.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), 15 ounces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- Drain the can of chickpeas into a colander. Rinse well with cool water. Gently use your fingers to remove shells as you rinse. Transfer rinsed chickpeas to a paper towel. Peel off remaining shells and discard. Gently dry the chickpeas between paper towels. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit while chickpeas continue to air dry.
- Place chickpeas on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toss with extra virgin olive oil and spread out in one layer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning while chickpeas are warm. Toss well to coat in the seasoning and serve.