Bacon Wrapped Tater Tot Cups are irresistibly delicious! Make in 3 simple steps with just 3 easy ingredients: bacon, tater tots, cheddar cheese. These are great for New Years parties, Super Bowl parties and any gathering focused on finger foods and appetizers, especially for kids!
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are a fun party finger food made in mini muffin tins and perfect for kids and adults. This recipe is great to make for holiday gatherings, game day, Super Bowl parties, and as a snack on the weekend.
The bacon is the glue that holds the cup together and once the bacon crisps, it retains a beautiful flower-like shape, like little bacon flowers.
DISCLAIMER: you will not just be able to eat just 1, or 2, or 3. These are so irresistibly delicious that you'll eat more than you wanted! Make enough to share, and serve them with these other delicious and simple party foods, like pull apart pizza bites and mini pizzas.
Bacon tater tot cups require only 3 ingredients: bacon, tater tots, cheddar cheese.
Make sure to use frozen tater tots for the best results. Since the bacon needs time to crisp, you don't want the tater tots to overcook before its done.
I find sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese to be the best cheese alongside bacon. But, white cheddar, pepperjack, and swiss cheese are also good choices.
Making bacon wrapped tater tots is incredibly easy. Here's how to do it.
STEP 1: Cut the bacon into 3 pieces and place 2 pieces into a muffin tin cavity.
STEP 2: Put a frozen tater tot into the cavity. If you can fit 2, put both. The more the merrier!
STEP 3: Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with enough cheddar cheese to cover the tater tot.
STEP 4: Put back into the oven for 5 more minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove from the muffin tin with a spoon or fork and put on a paper towel for a few minutes so that any extra grease is absorbed.
- Use the instructions for oven temperature and duration that are on your bacon package. For my uncured bacon, I had to cook for 15 minutes. You may need to increase the temperature and time, maybe even decrease it. If you are using a thick cut bacon, you likely will need to cook them longer.
- You'll use roughly 2 teaspoons of cheese for each tater tot cup. Bagged shredded cheese is the quickest, but I think that a freshly shredded block of cheese melts better.
- If you notice that the bacon hasn't fully crisped when removing the tater tot cups from the muffin tin, remove all of them and transfer to a baking sheet. Then bake in 2 minute increments, until the bacon is crisped to your liking.
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tot Cups
- 8 slices bacon
- 12 tater tots
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut bacon slices into 3 pieces and place 2 pieces opposite ways into the cups of a 12 cup mini muffin tin.
- Put 1 to 2 frozen tater tots on top of the bacon.Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until bacon is crisp (use the duration suggested on your bacon package).
- Top with cheddar cheese and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and transfer bacon cups to a paper towel to cool and drain excess grease. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.