Rice Krispie Treat Candy Sushi Rolls are one of the tastiest and easiest candy sushi recipes! It's surprisingly delicious and is so much fun for your kids to make. It gets them in the kitchen learning to make their own recipes and have fun while doing it!
Fun, Kid-Approved and Easy Candy Sushi Recipe
If you're looking for something different and fun to do, get your kids in the kitchen to whip up this candy sushi recipe. This sugary treat is great for parties, sleepovers, and rainy days.
They are made with gummy candy, fruit roll ups, marshmallows, and Rice Krispie cereal. It takes only 15 minutes to make and your kids will be so excited to see how it comes together. They may just want to try real sushi next!
What You Need
You need a few supplies before getting started:
- Small pot & wooden spoon: to make the rice mixture
- Waxed or parchment paper: used to roll the sushi. If you make a lot of sushi, candy or otherwise, you can buy a sushi rolling mat.
- Plastic bags or wrap: for storing
You need 5 ingredients:
- Fruit roll ups: in your favorite flavor
- Gummy candy: gummy worms, gummy bears, Emoji candy, swedish fish, or something else.
- Rice Krispie cereal: generic toasted rice cereals work fine too.
- Marshmallows: mini, standard or jumbo all work.
You can use any size marshmallows so don't worry about buying mini marshmallows (like many recipes call for) if you already have the larger ones. Since they are melted into the butter, size doesn't matter. It just may take a little longer for large marshmallows to melt that it does mini ones.
Use any of your favorite gummy candy. My kids love gummy bears and the Emoji gummies. Gummy worms, swedish fish and even sour patch kids are great options also.
Step 1. The first step to making candy sushi is to make the rice/cereal mixture. Melt the marshmallows and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the Rice Krispies and stir constantly, until they are coated with the marshmallows and butter. Remove this cereal mixture from the heat and let it cool for no longer than 5 minutes. It should be warm enough to spread but not so hot that it melts the fruit roll up and other candy.
Step 2. Next, on a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper, spread out the strips of fruit roll up.
Step 3. Spread the rice mixture on half of the fruit roll up.
Step 4. Add the gummy candy on top of the rice mixture.
Step 5. Roll the fruit roll up tightly, like you would a burrito.
Step 6. Slice into 1 inch pieces using a serrated or bread knife.
*My disclaimer is to not let your children eat this close to bedtime. This sushi is pure sugar, literally! The best time for kids to eat candy sushi is when they are headed off to school, or grandma's house or the babysitter's.
How to Store
Candy sushi will last 3 days at room temperature before it becomes too hard to eat. Store in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in plastic. It should not be stored in the fridge or freezer.
Rice Krispie Treat Candy Sushi Roll Recipe
- small pot
- serrated knife
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups Rice Krispie cereal, or generic toasted rice cereal
- 1 package gummy candy
- 2 fruit roll ups
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until they are melted.
- Add the Rice Krispie cereal and stir to coat with the butter and marshmallows. Remove from the heat and let cool for no longer than 5 minutes.
- On parchment or waxed paper, roll out the fruit roll ups. Spread the cereal mixture on half of the fruit roll up. Add gummy candy on top of the mixture.
- Tightly roll like a burrito and cut each into 1 inch pieces with a serrated or bread knife.